OPC 00008023: Sahara Mine #6 Mine, approximately 4 miles northwest of Carrier Mills, Saline County, Illinois, United States
- Stratigraphy: Kewanee Group: Carbondale Formation: Herrin #6 Coal
- Age: Paleozoic: Middle Pennsylvanian
- Coal Balls: one coal ball only referred to by quantity not number
- Important Taxa from Locality: Spencerites sp. cf. S. majusculus Scott 1898
Specimens that Leisman and his collaborators said came from or implied were from, this locality that we are aware of are:
Currently all specimens that we are aware of from this locality are in the Leisman Collection in the L. R. Wilson Paleobotany and Micropaleontology Collection, Sam Noble Museum of Natural History, Norman, Oklahoma, United States (OMNH).
Before any sorting, we list the specimens numerically by Leisman number, then by type of specimen in this order: coal balls, coal ball peels, microscope slides, cones, sporangium and spores. The columns are sortable by clicking on the heading. The first click to a heading sorts them alphabetically (A to Z)/numerically (1-25). The second click to heading sorts them reverse alphabetically (Z to A)/numerically (25-1). The third click to heading brings back to original sort order.
We are aware that Leisman and his collaborators identified the specimens/materials listed in the table as coming from this locality.
If you are aware of any additional specimens that Leisman or any of his collaborators said were from this locality please share them in the Collection Forum or contact us to let us know even if they are at another repository.
|Leisman Number||Repository||Associated Coal Ball||OPC Specimen Number||Identification||Type Status||SNOMNH-Pbot Publication Number||Confirmed||Notes|
|Not Specified||OMNH?||Unknown||00000000||Coal Ball - Entire||00000254||No||Contains Spencerites sp. cf. S. majusculus Scott 1898 and other taxa; at least partially processed into additional specimens|
Taxa that Leisman and his collaborators said came from, or implied were from, this locality that we are aware of are:
Publications in which Leisman mentioned or described this locality that we are aware of are:
- Leisman, Gilbert Arthur and Stidd, Benton Maurice, 1967. Further Occurrences of Spencerites from the Middle Pennsylvanian of Kansas and Illinois. American Journal of Botany, Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 316-323. doi: 10.2307/2440760 [SNOMNH-Pbot_00000254] (link to our page on publication, PDF of article) Note: publication lists as Spencerites moorei (Cridland 1960) Leisman and Stidd emend. 1967 using same coal ball, coal ball peels, microscope slides and spores as previous publication [SNOMNH_Pbot-00000181].