Leisman Number 745 Coal Ball (specimen)
Leisman Number: 745
Repository Collection Housing Specimen: Leisman Collection in the L. R. Wilson Paleobotany and Micropaleontology Collection at Sam Noble Museum of Natural History, Norman, Oklahoma, United States (OMNH)
OPC 00008000: Pittsburg and Midway Coal Company mine located “north of Hallowell” and “eight miles southwest of West Mineral,” Cherokee County, Kansas, United States (Leisman gives different descriptions for this locality in two publications)
- Stratigraphy: Cherokee Group: Cabaniss Formation: Mineral or Fleming Coal
- Age: Paleozoic: Pennsylvanian: Desmoinesian
Associated Coal Ball: Leisman 745/OPC 00008001
OPC Coal Ball Peel That the Specimen Came From: Not applicable, is an entire coal ball
OPC Slide Containing the Specimen: Not applicable, is an entire coal ball
OPC Specimen Number: 00000000
Specimen Category: Coal Ball – Entire
Is it part of a lot?: Yes
Number in Lot: Numerous – Unknown
Type Status: Epitype
Confirmation: Not relocated – as sectioned should only find portions
Identification: Coal Ball – Entire (notable taxa: Spencerites moorei (Cridland 1960) Leisman and Stidd emend. 1967)
- Leisman, Gilbert Arthur, 1962. A Spencerites Sporangium and Associated Spores from Kansas. Micropaleontology, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 396-402. doi: 10.2307/1484530 [SNOMNH_Pbot-00000125] Note: Publication lists as Spencerites; sp. as an informal new species, however in later publications is identified as the species Spencerites moorei (Cridland 1962) Leisman emend. 1962; and the same coal ball, coal ball peels, microscope slides and spores are used. Publication lists as Pittsburg and Midway Coal Company mine eight miles southwest of West Mineral, Cherokee County, Kansas, United States. (our page on publication, PDF of article)
- Leisman, Gilbert Arthur, 1962. Spencerites moorei comb. nov. from Southeastern Kansas. American Midland Naturalist, Vol. 68, No. 2, pp. 347-356. doi: 10.2307/2422740 [SNOMNH_Pbot-00000181] Note: Publication lists as Pittsburg and Midway Coal Company mine north of Hallowell, Cherokee County, Kansas, United States. (our page on publication, PDF of article)
- Leisman, Gilbert Arthur and Stidd, Benton Maurice, 1967. Further Occurrences of Spencerites from the Middle Pennsylvanian of Kansas and Illinois. American Journal of Botany, Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 316-323. doi: 10.2307/2440760 [SNOMNH-Pbot_00000254] (link to our page on publication, PDF of article)
Figure Number of Specimen: We are not aware of any of the entire coal ball.
Notes: Entire coal ball contains Spencerites moorei (Cridland 1960) Leisman and Stidd emend. 1967 and other taxa. Note it was originally identified as containing Spencerites nov. sp. Leisman 1962 nom. nudem (as an informal new species see Leisman 1962 SNOMNH_Pbot-00000125) before later publication identified the species as Spencerites moorei (Cridland 1960) Leisman emend. 1962 (see Leisman 1962 SNOMNH_Pbot-00000181) and its later revision to Spencerites moorei (Cridland 1960) Leisman and Stidd emend. 1967 (see SNOMNH_Pbot-000000254).
If you are aware of any additional information about this specimen, the coal ball it came from or locality, especially if you have images of the specimen, coal ball or the locality that the specimen came from please share them in the Collection Forum or contact us to let us know even if they may be at another repository.